Happiness is defined as a mental or emotional state of well being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. My mother calls me her happy child. No matter what’s going on I choose to see light in every situation. This is not to say that I’ve never felt the pangs of emotional distress. I know my joy is my strength.
You can choose to be miserable or content in whatever situation you’re in. The latter will cause you to rise above any challenge and open your mind to new possibilities. Don’t be bitter. Be happy!
Below are 7 steps to living a happier and healthier life:
- KNOW WHO YOU ARE. You are not a mistake. The Creator created you with love for a purpose. Embrace this truth.
- KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE. The Apostle Paul, while imprisoned on the isle of Patmos, wrote: “I know how to live in poverty or prosperity. No matter what the situation, I’ve learned the secret of how to live and be content.” Philippians 4:12
- LEARN THE ART OF GRATITUDE. Everyday that you live is a day to give thanks. Recognize the blessing in everything. If you can’t see it, look for it.
- WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? Choose to meditate on thoughts that empower you. “Fix your mind on things that are true, noble, right, pure and lovely. If anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.” Philippians 4:6
- MEDITATE. Be still and let go. Holding on to your past hurts and worrying about tomorrow adds nothing to your life. Russell Simmons states in his book Success Through Stillness: Meditation Made Simple: “You can decide that no matter what is happening around you, the sun will always be shining in your world. The external world doesn’t make that choice. You do.”
- SMILE and the world will smile with you. Share the love.
- JUST BE! You are more than enough and equipped for every good deed. Give it all you got!
Happiness generates good energy that is contagious. It’s not hard. Live in the moment with joy and gratitude. It’s a choice. Clap along if you believe happiness is the truth.